SBI with Adults is a virtual learning experience that provides a concept review, coaches learners through a simulated case scenario, and then evaluates their competency in two assessment scenarios. In the practice scenario, users lead a brief intervention in a telehealth environment. In the assessment scenarios, users are evaluated on their ability to screen a patient using validated measures and conduct a brief intervention following the Brief Negotiated Interview framework while using a motivational style.
- Standard drink size, risk guidelines, and health consequences of alcohol misuse
- Screening for alcohol use with the NIAAA single-question alcohol screening
- Building rapport and use of motivational interviewing throughout a brief intervention
- Best practices for engaging clients and patients in a telehealth setting
- Assessment of users' competency in conducting a brief intervention following the Brief Negotiated Interview framework
Research shows that with experiential practice, increased emotional engagement and reflective thinking leads to stronger self-efficacy and behavior change.
The content of this simulation was developed in close collaboration between Kognito's simulation scientists and leading experts in the field of SBIRT, including NORC at the University of Chicago.
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.