Educators are in an ideal position to engage in early intervention and prevention of mental health issues. While 50% of lifetime cases of mental illness are diagnosed by age 14, many signs may emerge earlier, especially when children are exposed to traumatic life events.
Adopted by over 5,000 schools and districts nationally, this research-proven online solution cost effectively drives sustainable changes in behaviors that support student wellness, academic performance, attendance and school safety. Users have access to customized national, local, and school-specific resources in addition to simulation content.
The goal of At-Risk for Elementary School Educators is to improve student wellness and school safety.
- Increase knowledge and awareness about children's mental health
- Identify warning signs of psychological distress
- Lead conversations with a student and a parent to lay the groundwork for referral and collaboration
- Discuss concerns about students with parents
- Encourage our students to open up and motivate their parents to access support
- Understand your school's specific support services and availability
This simulation has been accepted for review by SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP). Studies show that it results in (1) statistically significant increases in mental health skills that remain significant at a 3-month follow-up point, and (2) statistically significant increases in the number of students that educators connect with, discuss concerns, and if necessary, refer to support.
A longitudinal study with over 18,000 teachers and staff found that:
- A 54% average increase in the number of students with whom participants approached to discuss the signs of psychological distress within three months following the simulation
- A 70% average increase in the number of parents with whom participants approached to discuss concerns about the signs of psychological distress their child is exhibiting within three months following the simulation
- 98% would rate the simulation as good, very good, or excellent
- 98% think that all educators in their school should take the simulation
- 96% said it was based on scenarios relevant to their work with students
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
Download the PK-12 Catalog
View our full catalog of simulations created to improve PK-12 communities.