Educators are in an ideal position to engage in early intervention and prevention of mental health issues. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 13–20% of children living in the U.S. experience a mental disorder in a given year, and suicide is the second-leading cause of death among children ages 15–24.
Adopted by more than 8,000 schools and districts nationally, this evidence-based online, CE-certified solution quickly and cost-effectively drives sustainable changes in educator behavior that support student wellness, academic performance, attendance, and school safety. Users have access to customized national, local, and school-specific resources in addition to simulation content.
The goal of At-Risk for High School Educators is to improve student wellness and school safety.
- Increase knowledge and awareness about teen mental health and suicide
- Identify warning signs of psychological distress and self-harm
- Build skills in leading conversations with students in distress, discuss concerns, build resilience, and increase connectedness
- Assess the need for referral, motivate a student to seek help, and make a warm hand-off to support
- Understand your school's specific support services and availability
The simulation is listed in SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP). Studies show that it results in (1) statistically significant increases in mental health skills that remain significant at a 3-month follow-up point, and (2) statistically significant increases in the number of students that educators connect with, discuss concerns, and if necessary, refer to support.
A longitudinal study with over 30,000 teachers and staff found that:
- 95% would recommend the simulation to a colleague
- 98% would rate the simulation as good, very good, or excellent
- 98% think that all educators in their school should take the simulation
- 99% said it was based on scenarios relevant to their work with students
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
Download the PK-12 Catalog
View our full catalog of simulations created to improve PK-12 communities.