Having courageous conversations helps develop an inclusive campus community. Through immersive, interactive practice, faculty and staff gain knowledge, skills, and self-confidence to engage across differences.
This simulation-driven Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) program moves beyond definitions to offer users a safe environment to practice effective communication skills that create brave spaces, allowing for courageous conversations that help develop an inclusive campus community. Users have access to customized national, local, and school-specific resources in addition to simulation content.
The goal of Cultivating Inclusive Communities is to help faculty and staff gain awareness, knowledge, skills, and self-confidence to engage across differences with integrity and empathy. It is designed to prepare them to lead conversations that contribute to a safe, supportive, respectful, and welcoming culture.
- Evaluate diverse perspectives, navigating ambiguity and complexity
- Effectively build relationships across differences
- Recognize and critically reflect on personal beliefs, attitudes, and biases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills that create brave spaces
- Learn how to act as an advocate for the rights of others and self
- Recognize your role in fostering a caring and inclusive school climate
Learning design incorporates evidence-based communication techniques.
DEI professionals, student affairs professionals, faculty, and students contributed to the simulation content.
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
Download the Higher Ed Catalog
View our full catalog of simulations created to improve higher education communities.