In this simulation, learners are introduced to the Calm, Assess, Facilitate de-escalation framework and motivational interviewing techniques for managing client agitation. Participants practice using the framework and techniques in a role-play conversation with a virtual client using opioids.
- Apply de-escalation steps techniques to manage a client who is becoming frustrated or confrontational
- Understand the impact of the psychosocial and pharmaceutical factors on clients struggling to manage pain using prescribed opioids
- Identify early warning signs a client may be becoming frustrated or confrontational
- Recognize when a confrontational client is ready to discuss behavior change
- Follow protocol around reporting and seeking support when working with a confrontational client
Research shows that with experiential practice, increased emotional engagement and reflective thinking leads to stronger self-efficacy and behavior change.
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
More Resources for
De-Escalation in Care Settings
Download the Healthcare Catalog
Download the catalog and learn more about how our simulations gives healthcare professionals the tools they need to improve patient outcomes.