Developed in collaboration with Student Veterans of America of NY/NJ and adopted by more than 125 universities and colleges, this research-proven online solution cost-effectively helps drive sustainable changes in behaviors that promote student veterans' academic success and retention.
Returning veterans enter the classroom with valuable life and leadership experiences; however, transitioning to civilian and student life represents unique challenges. With more than a million student veterans representing 4% of the total student population, it is imperative for schools to train their faculty and staff on how to create an academic environment that is supportive of student veterans leading to higher rates of graduation, retention, and academic success.
The goal of Veterans on Campus for Faculty & Staff is to harness the power of conversation to improve student veterans' academic success and retention.
- Understand common challenges facing student veterans transitioning to campus life
- Manage classroom discussions around sensitive issues to veterans
- Recognize and approach student veterans struggling to adjust to college life to discuss concern
- Inform and connect students struggling to adjust with on- and off-campus support services
An independent study conducted by Student Veterans of America shows that the simulation results in (1) statistically significant increases in mental health and military cultural competency skills that remain significant at 4, 6, and 12 week follow-up points, and (2) an increase in the number of students that educators connect, discuss concerns with, and if necessary, refer to support.
A longitudinal study with over 7,169 faculty and staff members in 20 institutions showed:
- Statistically significant increase in participants' military cultural competency and mental health skills (p<0.05)
- 44% reported an increase in the number of student veterans they approached to discuss concerns with and make a referral to mental health support
- 98% rated the simulation as good, very good, or excellent
- 98% would recommend it to their colleagues
- 97% said it was based on scenarios relevant to their work with students
Student Veterans of America contributed to the simulation content.
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
Download the Higher Ed Catalog
View our full catalog of simulations created to improve higher education communities.