Educators are in an ideal position to engage in early intervention and prevention of mental health issues. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 13-20% of children living in the U.S. experience a mental disorder in a given year, and suicide is the second-leading cause of death among children ages 10-14.
Adopted by more than 6,000 schools and districts nationally, this research-proven online, CE-certified solution cost-effectively drives sustainable changes in behaviors that support student wellness, academic performance, attendance, and school safety. Users can have access to customized national, local, and school-specific resources in addition to simulation content.
The goal of At-Risk for Middle School Educators is to improve student wellness and school safety.
- Increase knowledge and awareness about pre-adolescent mental health and suicide
- Identify warning signs of psychological distress
- Increase knowledge and awareness about bullying and cyberbullying
- Build skills in leading conversations with students in distress, discuss concerns, build resilience, and increase connectedness
- Assess the need for referral, motivate a student to seek help, and make a warm hand-off to support
- Understand your school's specific support services and availability
The simulation has been accepted for review by SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP). Studies show that it results in (1) statistically significant increases in mental health skills that remain significant at a 3-month follow-up point, and (2) statistically significant increases in the number of students that educators connect with, discuss concerns, and if necessary, refer to support.
A longitudinal study with over 17,000 teachers and staff found that:
- A 71% average increase in the number of students with whom participants approached to discuss concerns about
psychological distress within the three months following the simulation
- 98% would rate the simulation as good, very good, or excellent
- 99% think that all educators in their school should take the simulation
- 97% said it was based on scenarios relevant to their work with students
Users receive customized feedback based on their in-simulation choices.
The simulation is available online 24/7. Users are asked to complete pre-, post-, and 3-month follow up surveys to assess changes in skills. Attitudes, and behavior. Upon completion, users receive a certificate of completion. Clients have access to usage reports and evaluation data via the Kognito client portal.
Download the PK-12 Catalog
View our full catalog of simulations created to improve PK-12 communities.